- 1 cup wheat berries (covered with water and soaked overnight)
- 1-1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (rinse if they are canned and drain)
- 1 medium size bulb of fennel (remove center core)
- ¾ cup yellow or dark raisins
- 4 green onions sliced
- 20 large green olives
- 1 bag arugula, baby spinach, or watercress
- ¼ cup pistachio or walnuts for topping
- OIL-FREE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Boil 3 cups of water, add previously soaked and rinsed wheat berries, simmer partially covered for 90 minutes. Test for doneness in one hour. Similar to pasta, the berry should be firm on the outside and soft on the inside. When complete, drain if necessary and fluff with fork. Use half of the cooked wheat berries for this recipe. You can freeze the remainder or eat leftovers within a few days.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked wheat berries, chickpeas, fennel, raisins, green onions, and olives with your dressing. This will keep for 3 days in refrigerator.
- When you are ready to serve: toss your greens with your dressed salad toppings, add chopped pistachio nuts and enjoy.
This grain salad will keep for half a day at room temperature. Perfect for lunches, picnics and bike rides.
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com