- 1 baby watermelon without seeds or 4-5 pounds of a large watermelon
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon / a Sriracha squirt
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 snack size nori sheet cut into tiny flakes
- 2 Tablespoons neutral flavor oil (grape seed)
- White and Black sesame seeds (1/4 cup total)
- Remove watermelon rind and cut flesh into 1 1/2 to 2 inch chunks. (They reduce about 1/3 in size upon baking.)
- Mix marinade and pour all into a large zip lock bag. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- After marinating heat a cast iron skillet over medium high temp. No oil needed in the skillet as the watermelon is “watery.”Sauté for 10 minutes and turn with tongs or spatula. Turn flame down to
medium and continue cooking and flipping until sides of watermelon are seared. The total time is approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Add sesame seed mix to a plate. Remove cubes from skillet and flip top and bottom in the sesame seed mixture just like sushi. Easy to do with tongs.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to one week.
A no oil sauté is an option, although using oil creates a texture that is similar to raw fish.
Yield: Approximately 30 pieces
This recipe was prepared at VegFest Colorado 2019 for our Hawaiian Poke Bowls by AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com.