- VEGAN MEATLOAF:
- 3 1/3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 2 – 14 oz. cans drained and rinsed
- One half of a large onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (oatmeal or matzo meal works too)
- 1/2 cup plain plant-based milk
- 3 Tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy or tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
- 2 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- MASHED POTATOES:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, chopped
- unflavored plant-based milk for mixing and mashing potatoes
- RED GRAVY:
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
with Orange Mashed Potatoes and Red Gravy
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Pulse chick-peas in a food processor until broken or mash with a fork.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and press mixture into a loaf.
- Boil chopped potatoes in boiling water until fork tender.
- Bake meatloaf for 20 minutes in a 350º oven.
- Mix red gravy ingredients in a mid size bowl.
- Transfer half the sauce to a gravy boat or serving bowl with spoon.
- Remove loaf pan and spoon the other half of gravy over the top and glaze
the sides of loaf with a brush or knife.
- Continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for about 10 minutes before slicing into.
• This recipe was filmed for our YouTube cooking video series “One Dozen Family Favorites.”
• Serve with a green vegetable such as peas, broccoli, or green beans.
• It’s also great re-heated in an earthen ware pot the next day.
• We think your family will love this great meal!
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com