- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot, or 2 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or less
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 – 15 ounce can tomatoes (I used a combination of conventional diced and one can fire roasted)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 cup cooked chick peas ~ optional
- Flavor the cooking oil with cumin seeds by heating 1 teaspoon of oil in a soup pot over medium heat. When oil is hot, add cumin and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add to fragrant oil one chopped onion, 6 whole garlic cloves, chopped carrots with a pinch of salt. Cook until onions are translucent, at least 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add remaining spices, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less) with a 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add tomatoes and cook to improve flavor, bringing out the sweetness of the tomatoes, if canned.
- Puree everything in a blender or with a hand held immersion tool. Transfer back to soup pot and continue cooking by adding 2 cups water, bay leaves, salt, brown sugar and chick peas if desired. Continue to cook for 15 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!
Yield: 4 Servings
A Special Note:
To make this oil free, dry roast the cumin seeds and add a splash of vegetable broth or water to sauté the onion and carrot.
This recipe is from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen, re-written and tested with approval at AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com