- TEMPEH MARINADE:
- 1 pound tempeh crumbled, or cut in small squares
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed, safflower, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- MAIN INGREDIENTS:
- flour tortillas
- shredded Daiya Cheddar cheese 1/4 package ~ an optional ingredient
- brown rice ~ optional ingredient
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 6 roasted green chiles, mild or medium hot or a large can of diced green chiles
- 1- 3 seeded jalapeño peppers for extra heat ~ optional
- 1 tomato chopped
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan boil 2 cups water. Add 1 cup brown rice to boiling water, turn heat to low, cover and cook on simmer for 50 minutes. Fluff with fork when complete.
- Marinate your tempeh for at least 30 minutes, an overnight marinade is excellent.
- Chop peppers, onions, green chiles and seeded jalapeño peppers.
- Sauté onions first, adding peppers and chiles consecutively. Add marinated tempeh. Sauté on medium high for about 20 minutes. Add vegan cheese to melt and serve on warmed tortillas with rice and salsa. If leftover rice is used, add to frying pan and refry.
The tortillas can be warmed individually in a toaster for 1-2 minutes. For a crowd; stack tortillas 6 at a time, inside a damp tea towel and place on a pan at 300 degrees for 5 minutes. These flour tortillas will be soft and warm. They can also be microwaved for 1 minute with left over filling on a flat tortilla.
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com