- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from one lemon
- 14 – 15 oz. firm tofu block
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine nutritional yeast with lemon zest and lemon juice in a mixing bowl, let this sit for a few minutes and allow yeast to dissolve. Wrap tofu in paper towels and set on a plate. Weight with another plate and heavy object, such as a large can of tomatoes. Let sit for 20 minutes to press out the extra liquid. Unwrap, discard paper towel and pat tofu dry. Use hands to crumble.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Once the oil shimmers, add the tofu crumbles. Cook, stirring frequently until tofu becomes golden in color, about 10 minutes. Add garlic until golden, stir in the nutritional yeast mixture, salt and pepper. Cook until lemon juice has evaporated. Allow to cool and toss with chickpea salad.
The Lemon Tofu Feta Cheese Trick was created by British Chef Lee Watson in his new book, “Peace and Parsnips: Adventurous Vegan Cooking For Everyone.” Watson writes and cooks at a retreat center in Wale’s Snowdonia National Park.
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com