- 1/3 cup miso
- 1/3 cup red pepper paste / Gochujang medium hot
- 1/2 cup Korean chives or green onions diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 Korean green chili peppers with seeds diced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar or 1/2 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon peanut or almond butter
- 3 big garlic cloves minced
Blend all ingredients together in a bowl with spatula or spoon.
Quarter a head of green cabbage and remove inner trunk with knife. Separate leaves and place in a steaming basket over boiling water. Allow cabbage to steam for about 10 minutes. This can be served warm or at room temperature.
Special note for serving:
Serve this Ssamjang paste with warm rice and steamed cabbage leaves for an appetizer or as a hand held wrap. Baby romaine lettuce leaves are another great option for plating. It’s also a fun informal summer meal. Let the family wrap their own by serving a large platter of steamed cabbage leaves with bowls of hot rice. Use brown rice or combine half white and half brown rice for a sticky rice.
This recipe was developed for VegFest Colorado 2017 by AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com