- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Pinch of flaky sea salt and cracked pepper
- 4 sumo oranges
- 2 grapefruits
- 4 mandarin oranges
- 1 small red onion – sliced thinly
- 1 small fennel bulb – sliced thinly
- 2-3 tender celery stalks – sliced thinly
- Handful of olives, black or green
- Blend a vinaigrette with olive oil and sherry vinegar, season with a pinch of sea salt and cracked pepper. Spoon this over the salad right before serving.
- Cut off thin slices from the top and bottom of your citrus fruit. Peel away skin and slice like a tomato.
- Arrange fruit slices on a large platter. over lapping slightly and scatter red onion slices, fennel, and celery. You can tuck in a few micro salad leaves if desired. Dot with olives and spoon dressing over all.
Sherry vinegar is lighter in taste than red wine vinegar. You may substitute the sherry for white or red wine vinegar. Add a bit more olive oil if you think the dressing is too tart, one tablespoons at a time.
For an oil free dressing sprinkle lightly with sherry vinegar, or a splash of bottled white wine.
This recipe is from the New York Times, February 1, 2017 / David Tanis City Kitchen. / Slightly adapted.