- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 red jeweled yams, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 can black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 – 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- add 1 or 2 cups of water toward the end of cooking
- Dry sauté onion and garlic over medium heat for several minutes, add sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper to the pot and continue with sauté for 6 minutes.
- Add a bit of vegetable broth or water to your sauté if the veggies begin to stick to pan.
- Add tomato sauce, beans, and broth, bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low, adding the spices and stir. Add additional water if needed.
- Simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes to one hour, until potatoes are done.
This is an unexpected combination of flavor and color, it’s hard to eat just one bowl.
Serve with country corn biscuits and enjoy!
If you use regular tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes instead of low sodium adjust the salt, cumin and chili powders to taste.
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com