- 1 half bunch purple kale – chiffonade cut
- 1 half bunch Tucson kale – chiffonade cut
- 1 large red apple such as Fuji or Honey Crisp (1/2 the apple is used for the salad toss and 1/2 for the dressing)*
- 2 stalks thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted, lightly chop 1/4 cup for salad toss use the remaining 1/4 cup of walnuts for blending into the salad dressing*
- 1/2 of a pomegranate, seeded, added after the kale is massaged with dressing
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries (look for a juice sweetened variety)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water – if needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Dressing the salad:
- Lightly toast walnuts in a dry sauté pan over medium to high heat, watch carefully.
- Blend half the apple, 1/4 c. walnuts, 2 T. raisins, mustard, vinegar and salt; pulse until smooth. Add a bit of water if needed, end result should be a thick cream.
- Clean, de-stem and roll kale leaves into a cigar shape and shred with knife.
- Massage dressing with shredded kale until completely covered, add celery and apple slice chunks, massage lightly.
- Add nuts and final fruit selections and allow salad to rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
The salad dressing will be easier to blend in your food processor or blender if you double this recipe. If you own a small container for your blender or own a mini food processor, it would not be necessary to double.
Holiday Menu Suggestions:
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com