- Marinate tempeh for at least 30 minutes, an overnight marinade is excellent.
- Chop bell peppers, onions, and green chilies.
- Remove stem and slice Jalapeño peppers lengthwise. Devein and remove seeds by scrapping with the tip of a spoon. Slice lengthwise into strips and dice.
- Sauté onions in a dry frying pan until translucent. Add peppers and chilies consecutively. Add marinated tempeh. Sauté on medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vegan cheese, cover sauté pan and allow cheese to melt.
- Warm tortillas in a dry skillet one at a time over medium high heat turning frequently until softened. An alternative method for warming 6 tortillas at once is to preheat the oven at 300º and insert a pizza stone or baking tray. When oven temperature is met wrap tortillas in a white wet kitchen tea towel and allow the tortillas to steam for about 5 minutes. Left over ingredients can be reheated in the microwave inside the tortilla wrap and cooked approximately 1 minute.
Serving: 4 generous wraps
Debbie’s Recipe Notes for Crowd Cooking:
To stretch this meal for a crowd you can always add cooked rice to the wrap and adjust seasoning and peppers accordingly. I suggest adding cooked rice directly to sauté pan, stir, taste, and adjust the flavors.
Assemble carnitas and wrap in tin foil. Before serving stack, foil wrapped carnitas in a crockpot and heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com