- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, turmeric and coriander, stir and blend. Continue adding onion, garlic, ginger and dry chili flakes if using.
- Add the rough chopped sweet potatoes, celery, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon fine sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add Vegetable broth and continue cooking for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Puree soup with a hand held blender. An alternate method is to cool soup and puree in a blender or food processor. Then return to pot and reheat, adding a slight bit of water if needed.
Yield: 6-8 Servings
This recipe came from a student of Almost Vegan Cooking School.
It is a delicious soup, and a great way to experiment with fresh turmeric and ginger. It was developed by Anschutz Health and Wellness Center, UC Health.