- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot, or 2 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or (more or less)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – 15 ounce can tomatoes
- 1 – 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener such as agave or a brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cooked chick peas used in the blender for creaminess
- 1/2 to 1 cup cooked chick peas for garnishing
- pepitas and croutons for garnish
- Flavor the cooking oil with cumin seeds by heating 1 teaspoon of oil in a soup pot over medium heat. When oil is hot, add cumin and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add to fragrant oil one cup chopped onion, 6 whole garlic cloves, and chopped carrots with a pinch of salt. Cook until onions are translucent, 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add remaining spices, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or omit) with a 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add tomatoes and cook to bring out the flavor of the tomatoes.
- Puree everything in a blender. Transfer back to soup pot and continue cooking by adding 2 cups water, bay leaves, salt, brown sugar. Continue to cook for 15 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches or upscale with our 3 suggested garnishes.
The oil free way:
To make this oil free, dry roast the cumin seeds for a few seconds. Add chopped onion and continue the recipe.
All recipes provided by: AlmostVeganCookingSchool.com