- CAESAR SALAD DRESSING:
- 2 Tablespoons almond meal or (whole almonds with high speed blender)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tablespoons miso
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- POLENTA CROUTONS:
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal or polenta
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or less
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
- romaine lettuce
- tomato wedges (I used capri tomatoes)
Preparation for Polenta Croutons:
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Pour 1 cup polenta in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Add fine salt. Continue to stir as the polenta cooks and watch as it will begin to bubble aggressively. The polenta is ready when the cornmeal is tender and the mixture is thick, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the polenta to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, use a spatula to smooth out, it may not reach the corners of your tray depending on the size but that is ok. Transfer to refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Remove polenta from the refrigerator and flip onto cutting board to slice into 3/4 inch squares. Transfer cut pieces back to a baking sheet lined with a fresh sheet of parchment. Brush the tops of the squares with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and cracked pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown, stirring once through. Allow to cool completely.
- Serve as a garnish with salad, a bowl of soup, or as a lovely appetizer alone or with roasted cherry tomatoes. Re-crisp croutons at 350º (5 – 10 minutes.)
Preparation for Salad:
- Whisk salad dressing ingredients together. Hooray! An oil free salad dressing. If desired, olive oil may be omitted from croutons too.
- Toss tomatoes, lettuce, croutons together with the dressing.
The Caesar salad dressing is a recipe adapted from TrueNorth Health Center. It has been kitchen tested by Almost Vegan Cooking School and approved! The crouton recipe is from FOOD 52 Community Picks. I think you will love this combination!